Academic Standards & Progress
To maintain satisfactory academic progress at Valencia, you must achieve a minimum term grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 each term. Successful completion of a course is defined as a grade of A, B, C or D except for those specific courses which require a grade of C or better for successful completion.
If you are making a grade lower than C at or about mid-term, you may be notified by your professor. If you receive a “below C notice,” you should immediately meet with the professor. Not receiving a “below C notice” at mid-term does not guarantee that you will pass the course.
If your term GPA falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic warning. To be removed from academic warning at the end of the next term, you must achieve a minimum cumulative overall GPA of 2.0. When you are placed on academic warning, it is strongly recommended that you talk with a Student Services staff member to discuss your education plan and Valencia’s academic support services before your next registration.
Students enrolled in Valencia’s Bachelor’s degree programs should contact their Career Program Advisor for assistance to ensure they are not in jeopardy of being dismissed from the program.
If your term GPA falls below 2.0 for two successive terms, you will be placed on academic probation. You will receive e-mail notification to your Atlas account that you have been placed on academic probation.
Under this status you will need to complete the Probation Pass, which can be found in Atlas under the Courses tab. There will be a link to an Educational Success website on the right hand side in the Registration box. After completing the pass you will need to go to any campus Student Services office to meet with a Student Services staff member to discuss your education plan and Valencia’s academic support services. In addition, you must obtain a Student Services staff member’s approval of your proposed course schedule before registering for the next term. The number of credit hours you are able to take may be limited in order to help ensure your success.
To be removed from academic probation, you must achieve a minimum term and cumulative overall GPA of 2.0.
If you want to take classes as a transient student at another institution you must follow the steps above and receive approval from an Advisor or Counselor prior to submitting a Transient Student Form. Transient Student Forms received without prior Advisor or Counselor approval will be denied.
If while on probation, you have two terms in which you earn less than a 2.0 GPA, you will be placed on academic suspension for the following term (Fall, Spring or Summer).
Under Academic Suspension you:
- are officially prohibited from enrolling in credit courses at Valencia for one term (Fall, Spring or Summer).
- may register only for continuing education courses at Valencia.
- must complete the Suspension Readmission Application and follow all required steps in the readmission process by the Suspension Readmission Deadline (established by Valencia and listed in the Important Dates and Deadlines calendar). You can find the Suspension Readmission Application in Atlas under the Courses tab. There will be a link to an Educational Success website on the right hand side in the Registration box.
- will be required to attend an initial readmission information session and complete a series of workshops and meetings prior to and/or during the first term you begin attending classes. All sessions, workshops and meetings are mandatory. If you do not complete any portion of the process, you will not be permitted to attend classes in the following term.
- must achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA for each term. If you do not achieve a term GPA of 2.0 while on probation following a suspension, or you fail to comply with the readmission requirements above, you again will be placed on academic suspension. Withdrawal from a course(s) may adversely affect your academic status. You are advised to meet with a Student Services staff member prior to withdrawal from a course.
- will return to Good Academic Standing when your cumulative overall GPA and your term GPA are both at least 2.0.
- will not be approved to take courses at another institution as a transient student.