Nursing, Accelerated Track in Nursing
Associate in Science Degree (CIP# 1351380100)
This option is designed for LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses), Paramedics, Registered Invasive Cardiovascular Specialists (CVTs), and RRTs (Registered Respiratory Therapists) who want to earn an A.S. Nursing degree. Some Prerequisite for Admission Courses may be available online. Graduates of this track are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX) to become a registered nurse. All theory components of the nursing courses (the courses with the prefix NUR) are offered primarily in an on-line format with course orientation and testing being completed on campus; all nursing courses beyond NUR 1003C TRANSITION INTO PROFESSIONAL NURSING have a clinical component to be completed in a Central Florida healthcare facility.
The R.N. Advanced Standing Track is a limited-access program. Admission to Valencia does not imply acceptance to the R.N. Advanced Standing Track of the Nursing Program; students must apply and be accepted to the program. General admission procedures for this program are found in the Admission Section of this catalog. The Division of Nursing provides specific information about the admission process to this track. Estimated program expenses are given in the Financial Section of this catalog.
This program has been coordinated with local healthcare agencies, the State Department of Education and the State Board of Nursing and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326.
Admission requirements that must be satisfied prior to submitting an application to the Advanced Standing Track A.S. Degree Program in Nursing Track are:
- Review the general admission requirements for Health Sciences programs in the Admissions section of this catalog
- Submit a completed Valencia Application for Admission; satisfy the requirements for degree-seeking status and be in active student status
- Satisfy the college entry testing requirements and satisfactorily complete all mandatory courses in reading, student success, mathematics, English, and English for Academic Purposes in which you are placed
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5 (including transfer work)
- Satisfy the designated entrance test requirements for Health Sciences programs
- Have completed an LPN, Paramedic, CVT or RRT program within the last 12 months (of the program application deadline) or have at least 6 months of full-time practice (by the program application deadline) within the five years prior to the date of admission.
- LPNs must provide evidence of current Florida License and must document completion of a Florida Board of Nursing approved IV therapy certification course
- Paramedics must provide evidence of current certification in Florida and certification as a Nursing Assistant or evidence of equivalent work experience
- CVTs must provide evidence of completion of a Cardiovascular Technology program, certification as a Nursing Assistant, or evidence of equivalent work experience, completion of an IV Therapy certification and must have passed the examination for the Registered Invasive Cardiovascular Specialist credential
- RRTs must provide evidence of current certification in Florida and certification as a Nursing Assistant or evidence of equivalent work experience, and completion of an IV Therapy certification
- Complete the Nursing Program Prerequisite for Admission Courses with minimum grades of “C” prior to enrollment in NUR 1003C TRANSITION INTO PROFESSIONAL NURSING
- Submit the completed Valencia Advanced Standing Track Nursing Program application with the application fee prior to the deadline
Students are strongly encouraged to consult their campus based health sciences advisor for assistance in determining the best education plan for their career goals.
Degree-seeking students enrolling at Valencia for the first time will have a limited range of courses from which to choose for their first 18 college-level credits. Within the first 18 college credit hours, you will be required to take ENC1101 (3 credits), and if applicable, SLS 1122 (3 credits) or HSC1004 (3 credits) for students pending acceptance to a health sciences program and a mathematics course appropriate to your selected meta-major (3 credits). The remaining courses will be chosen from the General Education Core Courses in humanities (3 credits), science (3 credits), or social science (3 credits), and/or the introductory courses within the A.S. degree programs. For specific courses see the Foundation Courses on the “Program Requirements” tab. For course sequencing recommendations, see your Career Program Advisor or create an education plan by logging into Atlas, clicking on the LifeMap tab and clicking My Education Plan.
- Registered Nurse
Salary & Earnings Information
For salary and wage information, visit: www.floridawages.com.
Contact Enrollment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 407-582-1507
Active Valencia students who are pending program acceptance may meet with the pending Nursing Program Advisor in the campus Student Services department. For Information Sessions, Admission Guides, Program Applications, and the most updated information, visit the website at: http://valenciacollege.edu/west/health/ Accepted, in-program students will meet with their assigned Career Program Advisor after confirming acceptance.
- Communicate effectively.
- Act professionally.
- Make clinical decisions.
- Provide a safe and effective environment.
- Provide physiological integrity.
- Provide psychosocial integrity.
- Promote and maintain health.
Accelerated Track Curriculum
|Prerequisite for Admission|
|BSC 2093C||HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I +*~||4|
|BSC 2094C||HUMAN ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY II +*~||4|
|MCB 2010C||MICROBIOLOGY +*~||4|
|PSY 2012||General Psychology +~||3|
|DEP 2004||Developmental Psychology +*~||3|
|ENC 1101||FRESHMAN COMPOSITION I +*~||3|
|HUN 2202||Essen Nutrition w/Diet Therapy +||3|
|Humanities See Gen. Ed. Requirement +~||3|
|Term 1||Credit Hours|
|NUR 1003C||TRANSITION INTO PROF NURSING +*||8|
|NUR 2313C||Maternal Child Nursing +*||4|
|NUR 2211C||ADULT HEALTH NURSING +*||9|
|NUR 2244C||ADVANCED ADULT HEALTH NURSING +*||6|
|NUR 2801C||PATIENT CARE MGMT PRACTICUM +*||6|
|Total Credit Hours||60|
This course must be completed with a grade of C or better.
This course has a prerequisite; check description in Valencia catalog.
This is a general education course.
All accepted applicants are required to submit applications through Valencia for a criminal background check and drug testing. Applicants for Valencia’s Health Sciences Programs must be free of offenses that would disqualify them from a student clinical experience in a healthcare setting and must have their civil rights intact. This policy is in response to requirements by clinical agencies and state/federal regulations.
Upon earning the A.S. degree in Nursing, eligible applicants can continue at Valencia to complete a bachelor-level Advanced Technical Certificate (ATC) in Echocardiography or Leadership in Healthcare. Additional education at the bachelor’s level and professional experience can enhance skills and create more career options.
Specialized program courses are offered on the West Campus; some are offered at the Osceola Campus.
Specialized courses may not be offered every session or on every campus.