PERT, SAT, ACT & CPT
Valencia’s Assessment Office offers the PERT (Postsecondary Education Readiness Test) from McCann Associates. The PERT assesses English, reading and mathematics skills. You must apply to Valencia before being assessed, and there is no additional charge for the PERT on your first attempt. It is given on all five campuses Monday through Friday, and no appointment is necessary. Although there is no time limit, the PERT takes approximately two and a half to three hours. To take the PERT, visit the Assessment Office on any campus and bring an official, valid, government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or a passport.
Completion of entry testing is required prior to participation in New Student Orientation/Advisement and prior to registration for any course that has a specific entry test score as a prerequisite.
For placement purposes, each of the skill areas of English, reading and mathematics are independent of each other, which means that you may place at the college level in one or more areas and at the developmental level in the other area(s). College-level ACT and SAT scores, and CPT scores at any level, can be used for placement in lieu of PERT scores. You may use the highest score from the ACT, CPT, PERT or SAT for placement; for example, you may use your PERT score for placement in mathematics and your SAT score for placement in reading and English. Scores are valid for two years.
If your skills are below the levels defined by the Florida Department of Education as required for successful performance in a college-credit program, you are restricted to developmental courses and any other instruction for which you are adequately prepared.
The Testing/Placement Charts that provide scores and corresponding course placements are located later in this catalog section.
Whether you are a full-time or a part-time student, if you do not qualify for one of the exceptions that follow, you must complete the PERT prior to participating in New Student Orientation/Advisement and prior to registration for any course that has a specific entry test score as a prerequisite (Florida State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.0315).
If your entry test scores are more than two years old and you have not completed any developmental coursework in the subject area then you must retake the PERT for placement.
A student is eligible for a retest in one of the following instances:
- If you have two sets of PERT scores in the last two years and you have not begun the developmental coursework in the subject area (have not been enrolled past the drop/delete deadline).
- If your test scores are more than two years old at the time of course registration, and you have not successfully completed the developmental coursework in the subject area.
- If your test scores are more than two years old at the time of course registration, and you have successfully completed developmental coursework in the subject area more than two years ago.
A student is not eligible for a retest in one of the following instances:
- If you have one or two sets of PERT scores in the last two years and you have begun the developmental coursework in the subject area.
- If you have three sets of PERT scores in the last two years.
Retakes are permitted when students attend an on-campus PERT review session, obtain a signed Placement Test Retake Certificate, and pay the retake fee. A student is allowed 3 PERT attempts at Valencia in a two year period with a one-day wait period between attempts. To be valid, test scores must have been taken within two years. Once a student has applied to Valencia or any of Valencia's programs, we will not accept scores from another institution unless they are transferring scores from a previously enrolled institution and the test date was prior to applying to Valencia, or if a student tested in high school. If a student lives closer to a different institution, they may take the PERT at that institution; however, they must arrange it with the Valencia Assessment Center. Retake and review session information can be found at the following link: http://valenciacollege.edu/assessments/pert/taking-the-exam.cfm.
There is a $10 PERT retake fee for each subtest.
You will be exempt from taking the PERT, unless needed as a prerequisite for a specific course, if you provide written documentation for one of the following exceptions:
- You have official PERT, ACT, CPT and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia.
- You have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university in which English was the language of instruction and have completed college-level or the highest developmental level course work, as evaluated by Valencia, in English and/or mathematics with a grade of C or better.
- You hold a college degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university in which English was the language of instruction and have submitted your official transcript to Valencia for review.
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are a transient student.
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are enrolled for teacher recertification.
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are enrolled in an Applied Technology Diploma, an Advanced Technical Certificate, a Career Certificate, or a Technical Certificate program.
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are enrolled for job improvement or personal interest.
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are enrolled in the Educator’s Preparation Institute.
- You choose to begin with the most basic developmental courses: ENC 0017 and DEVELOPMENTAL MATHEMATICS I (MAT 0018C). This decision means you waive your right for entry testing now or in the future, and you will be required to complete satisfactorily the course NEW STUDENT EXPERIENCE (SLS 1122).
Florida Statute 1008.30 Exemptions:
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma. (High school transcript is required for this exemption)
- Your official Valencia record indicates that you are serving as an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services. (Current military orders are required for this exemption.)
NOTE: Students who are exempt through the Florida Statute 1008.30 are not required to take PERT or developmental education courses, however they may choose to take the PERT to review their current skillset and/or choose to take developmental education to prepare for college level coursework. Under this exemption, students who take the PERT are not required to register for coursework based on their PERT scores, therefore they are still eligible to register for college level coursework regardless of PERT scores.
SAT, ACT & CPT
Official SAT, ACT, and ACCUPLACER scores may be substituted for all or part of the PERT. These score must be college level and less than two years old at the time of course registration. Scores sent from CollegeBoard or ACT take five weeks to receive and process. Please visit http://valenciacollege.edu/assessments/requesting-scores.cfm for information on submitting scores.