Associate in Science (A.S.) Degrees
If you are thinking about entering the workforce soon, you may be interested in earning an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College. Valencia's A.S. degrees are two-year programs that are designed to prepare students for immediate employment in a specialized career.
When you choose an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree program, you are not necessarily preparing yourself for transfer to a state university. Earning one of these degrees should prepare you for a successful and rewarding career upon completion of your A.S. degree program. If however, you later decide that you would like to earn a Bachelor's Degree, you have several options. You have the option of transferring into Valencia’s B.A.S. degree or into specific 2+2 Bachelor’s Degree programs that are offered at Florida State Colleges.
In the A.S. degree program you choose, you will take courses in two basic areas. One area will be specialized courses. For instance, if you are going to study digital media technology, you will be taking specialized courses in digital media, film and theatre.
The second major area of courses you will take will be general education. General education courses are designed to help you become a well-rounded individual capable of thinking, valuing, communicating, and acting as a mature, educated and enlightened citizen. It is the college’s belief that courses in general education, such as English composition and humanities, will enhance your overall employment potential since they will broaden your knowledge.
The A.S. degree programs are described on the following pages. You can obtain additional information about these programs in the Career Center and by contacting the Career Program Advisors, Program Directors and Academic Deans who are assigned to the program.
Due to the availability of staff, specialized equipment and labs, and program costs, some A.S. degree programs are restricted to one campus. When this is the case, a note is made on the program description page. For some programs, some of the specialized courses may be offered at more than one campus and the general education courses in the programs may be taken on any campus.
The Associate in Science degree requires a minimum of 60 college credits. Each Associate in Science degree program consists of a core group of courses known as the area of specialization. To earn an Associate in Science degree, you must complete a minimum of 30 college-level credits in your area of specialization and 15-18 college-level credits in general education, satisfy entry testing requirements and complete, with a minimum grade of "C" all required/mandatory courses in reading, mathematics, and English, and English for Academic Purposes.
In addition to the information on each A.S. degree program in this catalog, detailed information regarding each program is provided on program information sheets available in Career Program Advisors’ offices, academic departments, Career Center, Student Services and online at valenciacollege.edu.
Associate in Science Degrees
Including Articulated A.S. to B.A./B.S. Career Paths
- Articulated A.S. to B.A./B.S. Career Path
- Finance Specialization
- Human Resources Management Specialization
- International Business Specialization
- Management Specialization
- Marketing Specialization
- Real Estate Management Specialization
- Small Business Management Specialization
- Construction Management Specialization
- Civil/Surveying Engineering Specialization
- Homeland Security Specialization
Criminal Justice Law Enforcement Academy Track (A.S. Degree)
- Video Production Specialization
- Mobile Journalism Specialization
- Motion Graphics Specialization
- Web Development Specialization
- Electronics Specialization
- Laser and Photonics Specialization
- Robotics and Mechatronics Specialization
- Career Path to Valencia's B.S. Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Audio Visual Event Production Specialization
- Live Show Production Specialization
- Production Design Specialization
- Graphic Design Specialization
- Interactive Design Specialization
- Career Path in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Career Path to B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management (Articulated A.S. to B.S.)
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Front Office
- Cloud Infrastructure Security Specialization
- Cyber Forensics Specialization
- Cyber Security Specialization
- Integrated Social Media Strategy
- Litigation Specialization
- Transactional Specialization
- Horticulture Specialization
- Landscape Specialization
- Sustainable Agriculture Specialization
- Career Path in Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Career Path to B.S. in Restaurant and Food Service Management (Articulated A.S. to B.S.)
- Audio Engineering Technology Specialization (Articulated to Electrical & Computer Engineering Technology B.S. degree)
- Audio and Music Business Management Specialization
- Music Production Specialization
- Sound Production Specialization
Veterinary Technology (A.S. Degree)
Offered through Cooperative Agreement with St. Petersburg College