Associate in Science Degree (CIP# 1351380100)
This option is designed for LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses), Paramedics, Registered Invasive Cardiovascular Specialists (CVTs), and RRTs (Registered Respiratory Therapists) who want to earn an A.S. Nursing degree. Some Prerequisite for Admission Courses may be available online. Graduates of this track are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX) to become a registered nurse. All theory components of the nursing courses (the courses with the prefix NUR) are offered primarily in an on-line format with course orientation and testing being completed on campus; all nursing courses beyond NUR 1003C TRANSITION INTO PROFESSIONAL NURSING have a clinical component to be completed in a Central Florida healthcare facility.
The R.N. Advanced Standing Track is a limited-access program. Admission to Valencia does not imply acceptance to the R.N. Advanced Standing Track of the Nursing Program; students must apply and be accepted to the program. General admission procedures for this program are found in the Admission Section of this catalog. The Division of Nursing provides specific information about the admission process to this track. Estimated program expenses are given in the Financial Section of this catalog.
This program has been coordinated with local healthcare agencies, the State Department of Education and the State Board of Nursing and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326.
Admission requirements that must be satisfied prior to submitting an application to the Advanced Standing Track A.S. Degree Program in Nursing Track are:
- Review the general admission requirements for Health Sciences programs in the Admissions section of this catalog
- Submit a completed Valencia Application for Admission; satisfy the requirements for degree-seeking status and be in active student status
- Satisfy the college entry testing requirements and satisfactorily complete all mandatory courses in reading, student success, mathematics, English, and English for Academic Purposes in which you are placed
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5 (including transfer work)
- Satisfy the designated entrance test requirements for Health Sciences programs
- Have completed an LPN, Paramedic, CVT or RRT program within the last 12 months (of the program application deadline) or have at least 6 months of full-time practice (by the program application deadline) within the five years prior to the date of admission.
- LPNs must provide evidence of current Florida License and must document completion of a Florida Board of Nursing approved IV therapy certification course
- Paramedics must provide evidence of current certification in Florida and certification as a Nursing Assistant or evidence of equivalent work experience
- CVTs must provide evidence of completion of a Cardiovascular Technology program, certification as a Nursing Assistant, or evidence of equivalent work experience, completion of an IV Therapy certification and must have passed the examination for the Registered Invasive Cardiovascular Specialist credential
- RRTs must provide evidence of current certification in Florida and certification as a Nursing Assistant or evidence of equivalent work experience, and completion of an IV Therapy certification
- Complete the Nursing Program Prerequisite for Admission Courses with minimum grades of “C” prior to enrollment in NUR 1003C TRANSITION INTO PROFESSIONAL NURSING
- Submit the completed Valencia Advanced Standing Track Nursing Program application with the application fee prior to the deadline
Students are strongly encouraged to consult their campus based health sciences advisor for assistance in determining the best education plan for their career goals.
Alternative Ways to Earn Credit toward this Degree
Graduates of the Practical Nursing programs at Orange Technical College and Osceola Technical College, as well as other institutions may be eligible to receive college credit for courses in this program based on earning your LPN certification. To learn more about Valencia’s award of credit options, visit https://valenciacollege.edu/academics/programs/as-degree/credit-industry-certification-agreements.php. Eligible students should contact the Career Program Advisor in their academic department for more information about the requirements for the award of credit.
Degree-seeking students enrolling at Valencia for the first time will have a limited range of courses from which to choose for their first 18 college-level credits. Within the first 18 college credit hours, you will be required to take ENC1101 (3 credits), and if applicable, SLS 1122 (3 credits) or HSC1004 (3 credits) for students pending acceptance to a health sciences program and a mathematics course appropriate to your selected meta-major (3 credits). The remaining courses will be chosen from the General Education Core Courses in humanities (3 credits), science (3 credits), or social science (3 credits), and/or the introductory courses within the A.S. degree programs. For specific courses see the Foundation Courses on the “Program Requirements” tab. For course sequencing recommendations, see your Career Program Advisor or create an education plan by logging into Atlas, clicking on the LifeMap tab and clicking My Education Plan.
Salary & Earnings Information
For career information related to this program, please visit O*Net OnLine.
To learn more about this program, contact Enrollment Services at email@example.com or 407-582-1507 or visit valenciacollege.edu/nursing/.
Active Valencia students who are pending program acceptance may meet with the pending Nursing Program Advisor in the campus Student Services department. For Information Sessions, Admission Guides, Program Applications, and the most updated information, visit the website at: https://valenciacollege.edu/academics/programs/health-sciences/index.php Accepted, in-program students will meet with their assigned Career Program Advisor after confirming acceptance.
- Foster open communication, mutual respect and shared decision making to achieve quality patient outcomes with respect to values, safety, preferences, needs, and diversity of patient/family and multidisciplinary teams.
- Integrate clinical decision-making that demonstrates evidence-based practice, competent delivery of patient care, and coordination of multidisciplinary teams to achieve safe patient-centered outcomes.
- Utilize technology to communicate and promote coordination of information to mitigate errors, apply knowledge when managing resources, and facilitate safe patient care.
- Promote lifelong learning and professionalism through exploration of evidence-based practice and professional development.
Accelerated Track Curriculum
Plan of Study Grid
|Prerequisite for Admission|
|BSC 2093C ||HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I +*~ ||4 |
|BSC 2094C ||HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II +*~ ||4 |
|MCB 2010C ||MICROBIOLOGY +*~ ||4 |
|PSY 2012 ||GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY +~ ||3 |
|DEP 2004 ||DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY +* ||3 |
|ENC 1101 ||FRESHMAN COMPOSITION I +*~ ||3 |
|HUN 2202 ||ESSENTIALS OF NUTRITION WITH DIET THERAPY +* ||3 |
| +~ ||3 |
| ||Credit Hours||27|
|NUR 1003C ||TRANSITION INTO PROFESSIONAL NURSING +* ||8 |
|NUR 2313C ||MATERNAL CHILD NURSING +* ||4 |
| ||Credit Hours||12|
|NUR 2211C ||ADULT HEALTH NURSING +* ||9 |
| ||Credit Hours||9|
|NUR 2244C ||ADVANCED ADULT HEALTH NURSING +* ||6 |
|NUR 2801C ||PATIENT CARE MANAGEMENT PRACTICUM +* ||6 |
|NUR 2943 ||EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING IN NURSING *^ ||12 |
| ||Credit Hours||24|
| ||Total Credit Hours||72|
All accepted applicants are required to submit applications through Valencia for a criminal background check and drug testing. Applicants for Valencia’s Health Sciences Programs must be free of offenses that would disqualify them from a student clinical experience in a healthcare setting and must have their civil rights intact. This policy is in response to requirements by clinical agencies and state/federal regulations.
Specialized program courses are offered on the West Campus and may not be offered every session; some are offered at the Osceola Campus.
Upon earning the A.S. degree in Nursing, eligible applicants can continue at Valencia to complete the Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) or a bachelor-level Advanced Technical Certificate (ATC) in Echocardiography. The Nursing BSN degree is designed to expand your knowledge on integrated care, build nursing skills and prepare you for advanced positions withing the medical field.
Additional education at the bachelor’s level and professional experience can enhance your skills and create more career opportunities. Students who wish to continue their education should consult with their Career Program Advisor to determine the best education plan for their career goals.