Undergraduate Research Track
Undergraduate research track is designed to create students who are familiar with the process, practice, and principles of scholarly inquiry in an academic community.
- Complete a discipline-specific research project.
- Present research in a peer-reviewed, academic setting.
To satisfy the curricular aspect of the Undergraduate Research Track, students must complete:
- IDH 2911- Honors Research Process (2 cr) - This honors course will introduce students to the process of research, tools, concepts, and resources necessary to search, evaluate, and use information in a variety of formats and subject disciplines. The focus will be to analyze and utilize information critically using a broad range of materials and interdisciplinary concepts needed for honors research and academic/professional success.
- Individual Honors Study Plan (12-15 cr) – honors courses designed to enhance the individual student’s research plan, developed in consultation with the Honors Director and a Faculty Advisor. Approved study plans are kept on file in the Honors Office.
- IDH 2912- Honors Project (1 cr) – the student will complete under the guidance of a faculty advisor. The project will define and execute a research question. Guidelines will be established regarding format, standards, and review of projects.
- Additional Honors Coursework (6-9 cr)
Students will be required to participate in a minimum of three approved co-curricular activities per term of enrollment (excluding summer). This may include participation in the editing and publication of a Valencia Honors research journal, presentation of original research at local, regional, and national honors and/or discipline conferences, and/or presentation of original research at Valencia.