Seneff Honors College
The CNL Charitable Foundation and the Valencia College Foundation entered into an agreement to establish an endowment fund to support educational opportunities at the college. The result was the creation of the Seneff Honors College.
Valencia College offers a variety of honors courses. In order to be able to register in these courses, student must apply and be accepted into the Seneff Honors College. The vision of the Seneff Honors College is to discover potential in students and inspire excellence. Admission of candidates into the program is a consideration of a student's potential beyond simply a test score or GPA. The Seneff Honors College is for students who want more from their college experience—more challenges, more opportunities, and more connections with fellow students and great professors. The Seneff Honors College is for people with a passion for learning.
While students have some flexibility in designing their honors program to meet individual needs, there are four basic tracks that lead to graduation from the Seneff Honors College: the Global Studies Track, the Interdisciplinary Track (IDH), the Leadership Track, and the Undergraduate Research Track. A major emphasis of the Seneff Honors College is to teach students to be leaders in their communities, and in so doing awaken them to a new world of opportunities for personal, intellectual and civic growth. Honors classes are not just regular classes with additional work; they provide an entirely unique intellectual and co-curricular experience. In addition, classes are kept small; the average size is 16 students. Students in honors courses study and evaluate primary source materials rather than relying solely on textbooks. The classes help students develop and sharpen their research skills. In honors classes, students learn to fashion original interpretations and analyses of course materials.
The Seneff Honors College offers this and more, all in a setting that nurtures the whole individual including benefits such as:
- smaller classes
- special scholarship opportunities
- early registration
- recognition at commencement
- special service learning opportunities
- co-curricular events that contribute to learning and the community
- domestic and international travel opportunities
All highly-motivated students who desire to make the most of their Valencia experience are encouraged to apply.
Admission to the Seneff Honors College
The admissions process into the Seneff Honors College considers a student’s potential beyond simply a test score or GPA. All highly motivated students who desire to make the most of their Valencia experience are encouraged to apply including Dual Enrollment and International students.Students wishing admission to the Seneff Honors College will:
- Complete an application to Valencia College.
- Complete an online application to the Seneff Honors College through Atlas. As a part of the online application, students must upload a 500 word essay on an assigned prompt. For the current prompt, visit valenciacollege.edu/honors/prospective-students/admission.cfm.
- Submit standardized test scores to the Valencia Registrar’s Office or take the PERT at one of the Valencia campuses (transfer students may be exempt from this requirement). Prior to being admitted to the Seneff Honors College, a student must have college level assessment scores or have completed any developmental mandate in reading and writing.
- Submit an unofficial copy of high school transcripts to the Honors Office (for students who have graduated from high school within the last 2 years).
- Submit an unofficial copy of all college transcripts to the Honors Office if the coursework has not yet been officially evaluated by Valencia (for transfer students).
- Submit a degree audit for your intended major. You can generate a degree audit in Atlas under the Students tab in the Path to Graduation area.
- Submit one of the following to the Honors Office:
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, school official, supervisor or community leader.
- Letter of recommendation from a Valencia College faculty member. In lieu of providing a letter, a Valencia College faculty member can complete the online recommendation form.