2024-25 Catalog

International Admissions Requirements

Nonimmigrant (International) Students

This college is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students on F/J visas. Your application materials must be submitted to Valencia College prior to the International Application Priority Deadline for the term in which you wish to enroll. International student application deadline dates are listed in the Academic Calendar in the online official catalog. If you wish to enroll at Valencia College on a J-1 nonimmigrant visa, you must meet the eligibility requirements outlined in a partnership agreement between Valencia College, and a university, government, or exchange partner organization. F-1 students are required to take a minimum number of onsite courses each term. To view a list of programs unavailable to F-1 students, visit the ISS degree areas webpage. If you wish to enroll at Valencia College on an F visa, you must meet all of the applicable admission requirements outlined as follows:

  • You must submit an online international student application. For further information, visit Valencia College’s International Student website.
  • You must pay a non-refundable, non-transferable application fee. 
  • You must have the equivalent of a high school diploma in the United States. Official secondary school transcripts and graduation certificates must be submitted in English or with an official English translation. 
  • Applicants for whom English is not a native language must meet requirements for English proficiency by submitting results from one of the following exams, taken within two years of the start date of class:
    1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 45 on the iBT, iBT Paper Edition, and iBT Home Edition.
    2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 5.5.
    3. ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP) minimum score of 86.
    4. SAT Writing and Language Test with a minimum score of 25 and SAT Reading Test with a minimum score of 24. 
    5. ACT English with a minimum score of 17 and ACT Reading with a minimum score of 19. 
    6. Duolingo English test with a minimum score of 80.
  • You will not be required to demonstrate English proficiency for admission purposes if you meet one of the following criteria:
  1. English is the official language of your country of citizenship. (See International Student Services website for country listing.) 
  2. If you have completed Freshman English Composition or its equivalent (as determined by Valencia College) with a grade of C or higher.
  3. You have earned an Associate or Bachelor's degree at an institution in which English was the language of instruction. Official transcripts are required for documenting English proficiency.
  • Students will be required to take the PERT exam to determine academic placement and to enroll. Testing and placement charts can be found in the Entry Testing & Placement and Mandatory Courses section of the catalog. 
  • F-1 visa applicants must submit a bank statement or bank letter in English or with an English translation certifying that you have the financial resources to attend the college. In addition, you must submit an affidavit of support from any financial sponsors. 
  • In order to enroll, international students on an F-1 visa must purchase health insurance through Valencia College's approved provider and must maintain this health insurance coverage during their entire period of study at the college.
  • International students transferring an I-20 from another institution as an F-1 student are required to submit copies of their visa, I-94 Departure and Arrival Record, and all previously issued I-20 Forms. The SEVIS Transfer Eligibility form must also be completed by the Designated School Official (DSO) at the student’s previous institution.
  • F-1 visa applicants will need to show additional financial support and provide copies of passports, visas, previous I-20’s and an I-94 record for each dependent. Dependents can be a spouse or a child who intends to hold an F-2 visa.

Foreign Credentialing Evaluation Agencies

Students who have pursued secondary school studies outside of the U.S. must submit official records such as transcripts, diplomas and/or standardized exam results that are equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.  Secondary school records that are not issued in English must be accompanied by an official English translation.

Students who have completed college/university coursework at an institution outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts/diplomas evaluated by an affiliated member of NACES. Students should obtain “course by course” evaluations. The evaluations may be used for transfer credit consideration, fulfillment of Valencia College prerequisites, or waiving of the foreign language requirement. Students are responsible for paying any fees associated with the credential evaluation process. Students coming from foreign institutions recognized by U.S. regional accreditation bodies do not need to have their credentials evaluated.