Associate in Science (A.S.) Degrees
If you are thinking about entering the workforce soon, you may be interested in earning an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College. Valencia's A.S. degrees are two-year programs that are designed to prepare students for immediate employment in a specialized career.
When you choose an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree program, you are not necessarily preparing yourself for transfer to a state university. Earning one of these degrees should prepare you for a successful and rewarding career. If however, you later decide that you would like to earn a Bachelor's Degree, you have several pathways. You may transfer into a related Bachelor's Degree (2+2) that is offered at any State College in Florida, or you may go into the Bachelor's of Applied Science (B.A.S.) degree that is offered at some state universities, such as UCF. Additional general education courses may be required for the B.A.S. degree.
In the A.S. degree program you choose, you will take courses in two basic areas. One area will be specialized courses. For instance, if you are going to study digital media technology, you will be taking specialized courses in digital media, film and theatre.
The second major area of courses you will take will be general education. General education courses are designed to help you become a well-rounded individual capable of thinking, valuing, communicating, and acting as a mature, educated and enlightened citizen. It is the college’s belief that courses in general education, such as English composition and humanities, will enhance your overall employment potential since they will broaden your knowledge.
The A.S. degree programs are described on the following pages. You can obtain additional information about these programs in the Career Center and by contacting the Career Program Advisors, Program Directors and Academic Deans who are assigned to the program.
Due to the availability of staff, specialized equipment and labs, and program costs, some A.S. degree programs are restricted to one campus. When this is the case, a note is made on the program description page. For some programs, some of the specialized courses may be offered at more than one campus and the general education courses in the programs may be taken on any campus.
The Associate in Science degree requires a minimum of 60 college credits. Each Associate in Science degree program consists of a core group of courses known as the area of specialization. To earn an Associate in Science degree, you must complete a minimum of 30 college-level credits in your area of specialization and 15-18 college-level credits in general education, satisfy entry testing requirements and complete, with a minimum grade of "C" all required/mandatory courses in reading, mathematics, and English, and English for Academic Purposes.
In addition to the information on each A.S. degree program in this catalog, detailed information regarding each program is provided on program information sheets available in Career Program Advisors’ offices, academic departments, Career Center, Student Services and online at valenciacollege.edu.
Associate in Science Degrees
Including Articulated A.S. to B.A./B.S. Career Paths
- Articulated A.S. to B.A./B.S. Career Path
- Finance Specialization
- Human Resources Management Specialization
- International Business Specialization
- Management Specialization
- Marketing Specialization
- Property and Casualty Insurance Management specialization
- Real Estate Management Specialization
- Small Business Management Specialization
- Homeland Security Specialization
- Live Event Video Production Specialization
- Mobile Journalism
- Video and Motion Graphics Specialization
- Web Development
- Electronics Specialization
- Laser and Photonics Specialization
- Robotics and Mechatronics Specialization
- Live Show Production Specialization
- Production Design Specialization
- Fire Officer Specialization
- Fire Prevention Specialization
- Graphic Design Specialization
- Interactive Design Specialization
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Front Office
- Cisco Routing and Switching Specialization
- Microsoft Systems Administration Specialization
- Cyber Security and Digital Forensics Specialization
- Litigation Specialization
- Transactional Specialization
- Horticulture Specialization
- Landscape Specialization
- Audio Engineering Technology Specialization (articulated to B.S.E.C.E.T. degree program)
- Audio and Music Business Management Specialization
- Music Production Specialization
- Sound Production Specialization
Veterinary Technology (A.S. Degree)
Offered through Cooperative Agreement with St. Petersburg College