Bachelor of Science in Nursing, BSN (CIP# 1105138012)
School of Nursing
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing is to provide students the opportunity to further their education and increase their potential for career advancement in the nursing field. This RN to BSN program will provide students with the skills and knowledge required to become successful managers and leaders within public, private and non-profit organizations. The curriculum emphasizes current, evidence-based application and exposure to real-world nursing in areas such as nursing research, community health, healthcare policy and global communities at risk.
- Clinical Nurse Educator
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Nursing Informatics
- Nurse Navigator
- Occupational Health Nurse
- Patient Advocate
- Public Health Nurse
- Research Nurse
- Surgical Nurse
Salary & Earnings Information
For career information related to this program, please visit O*Net OnLine
For more information about the program or admission requirements, please email BSNAdvising@valenciacollege.edu.
For the most up-to-date information, visit our website at valenciacollege.edu/nursing.
Your Program Advisor contact information can be found in Atlas. Log into Atlas, click on the Courses tab, and check your Academic Profile information to find a link to your Advisor.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Valencia College is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE
There is no application fee for the Bachelor's Degree in Nursing program.
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Submit official transcripts from all prior colleges and universities with one denoting completion of a diploma from a nursing program or an Associate Degree in Nursing from a regionally or nationally accredited institution including course work with a minimum grade of C equivalent to: BSC 2093C HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I; BSC 2094C HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY II; MCB 2010C MICROBIOLOGY; PSY 2012 GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY; DEP 2004 DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY; HUN 2202 ESSENTIALS OF NUTRITION WITH DIET THERAPY; NUR 1060C HEALTH ASSESSMENT ACROSS THE LIFESPAN; and 3 additional credits in BSC or CHM or PHY. If not completed prior to admission, the courses must be completed prior to completing their second term in the program.
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.0
- Must have a clear/active, unrestricted, unencumbered Florida RN License, or students but must be eligible to obtain it prior to completing their first term in the program.
- Have an address in the state of Florida
- Additional courses to complete the required 120 credit hours for graduation must apply to the degree and be approved by an advisor.
- You must submit a copy of your clear/active, unrestricted, unencumbered Florida RN license prior to registering for NUR 3634 COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSING
Prior to enrollment in a clinical practicum, provide documentation of the following requirements:
- Current criminal background check
- Drug testing
- Physical exam forms
- Up-to-date immunization data
- Create a culture of safety and empowerment by applying leadership concepts within complex organizational systems.
- Collaborate with inter/intra professionals to achieve consistent, evidence-based, and successful patient client care outcomes.
- Analyze healthcare policy, finance, and regulatory environments to impact the nursing profession.
- Implement best nursing practices in patient care utilizing technology and informatics
- .Evaluate health deficits, prevention, and health promotion in diverse and community populations.
- Adhere to the principles of the American Nurses Association (ANA) code of Ethics.
- Integrate theoretical and empirical knowledge to address global health care through use of best practices in nursing.
General Education Requirements
Nursing Core Requirements
|NUR 3169||EVIDENCE AND RESEARCH IN NURSING PRACTICE +*||3|
|NUR 4837||HEALTHCARE POLICY AND ECONOMICS IN NURSING +||3|
|NUR 3667||DIVERSITY AND GLOBAL TRENDS IN NURSING +||3|
|NUR 4829||LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT IN NURSING +||3|
|NUR 3125||PATHOPHYSIOLOGY FOR NURSING PRACTICE +||3|
|NUR 3825||PROFESSIONS OF ROLE TRANSFORMATION +||3|
|NUR 3634||COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSING +||4|
|NUR 4945C||NURSING CAPSTONE +*||2|
|Total Credit Hours||30|
In addition to completing the course requirements detailed in the curriculum in order to graduate, students must:
- Earn a minimum 2.0 Valencia College and Overall GPA.
- Complete all Core course work with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all core courses.
- Satisfy Valencia’s General Education requirements and Gordon Rule requirements unless you hold an Associate in Arts or Bachelor’s degree or have completed the entire general education program at a regionally accredited institution.
Satisfy the civic literacy requirement. As per Florida Rule 6A-10.04213, prior to the award of an associate in arts or baccalaureate degree, students initially entering a Florida College System institution in the 2021-22 school year*, and thereafter must demonstrate competency in civic literacy prior to graduation by:
a. receiving a passing score on the Florida Civic Literacy Exam (FCLE), and
b. successful completion of one of the following:
successfully passing POS 2041 U.S. GOVERNMENT or AMH 2020 U.S. HISTORY 1877 TO PRESENT or
successfully passing a prescribed assessment:
AP Government & Politics: United States Test** (passing score =3), or
AP United States History Test** (passing score = 4), or
CLEP American Government** (passing score = 50)
*The Department of Education has provided guidance that the Civic Literacy requirement is based on the student's governing catalog year (e.g., it is for all students who have a catalog year of Fall 2021 or after even if they had previously attended a Florida public institution).
**receiving a passing score will satisfy both the FCLE and course requirements.
- Complete at least 25% of the 120 credit hour degree program (30 credits) at Valencia College, based upon the Florida College System's requirement of a 2+2 admission into the baccalaureate program. Fifteen of those hours must be 3000 or 4000 level courses from the program core course list.
- Submit an application for graduation through Atlas by the deadline date listed in the Academic Calendar in the online official catalog. The student must have at least the minimum number of college-level credits for the degree, including all courses currently registered, in order to submit a graduation application.
- Fulfill all financial obligations to Valencia College.
- Foreign Language: Successfully complete the Florida foreign language requirement: two years high school or one year of college (at least eight credits) in a single foreign language. American Sign Language is acceptable. Foreign language taken at the college level does not satisfy the General Education credits.
- Total Semester Credits required – 120 credit hours in addition to completing the Foreign Language Requirement above. The credit courses required may vary depending on the credits the student brings to the BSN program. Additional courses to complete the required 120 credit hours for graduation must apply to the degree and be approved by an advisor.
Students enrolled in the BSN program may not be enrolled in any other programs at Valencia College.