Advanced Technical Certificate
Limited-Access (CIP # 0351090166)
The Echocardiography Program is designed to prepare health professionals who hold an eligible Associate in Science (AS) degree from a regionally accredited institution and the related professional credential with the skills required to perform echocardiograms in the clinical setting. The program consists of 18 credits of didactic, lab and clinical course work. Those who complete the Echocardiography ATC will be eligible to sit for the Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) specialty examination. After 12 months of full-time clinical cardiac ultrasound experience, program completers will be eligible to sit for the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI) and Adult Echocardiography (AE) Exams.
Echocardiography is a limited access program. Admission to Valencia does not imply acceptance to the Echocardiography program. Students must submit a program application and be accepted to the program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
- Review the current Echocardiography Program Guide at https://valenciacollege.edu/academics/programs/health-sciences/echocardiography/
- Submit a completed Valencia Application for Admission using the Bachelor's Degree/Advanced Technical Certificate application, and be in Active Student Status.
- Have an address in the State of Florida
- Submit to Valencia's Admissions Office an official transcript that indicates that you have earned an Associate degree, or higher, in Cardiovascular Technology, Sonography, Nursing, Radiography, or Respiratory Care from a regionally accredited institution. Students who hold the appropriate professional certification and any Associate in Science degree, Associate in Applied Science degree, or higher from a regionally accredited institution in any other field may also be considered for admission.
- Following your admission to Valencia as a candidate for the Echocardiography Program, submit the Health Sciences Program Application for the Echocardiography Program with a copy of your current professional credential for Cardiovascular Technology (CCI – RCIS or RCES) or Sonography (ARDMS – RDMS, RVT, RMSKS, RPVI or RMSK)) or Nursing (State Board of Nursing – RN) or Radiography (ARRT – R or S ) or Respiratory Care (NBRC-RRT) and the application fee
Salary and Earnings Information
For salary and wage information, visit: www.salary.com
For additional information, visit our website at: https://valenciacollege.edu/atc
For more information about the program or admission requirements, please email AlliedHealthBS.ATC@valenciacollege.edu.
Your Career Program Advisor contact information can be found in Atlas. Log into Atlas, click on the Courses tab, and check your Academic Profile information to find a link to your Advisor.
- Function as a competent and contributing entry-level Non-Invasive Cardiology Sonography team member.
- Perform thorough and accurate echocardiography exams, meeting defined quality standards.1
- Recognize Critical Results and notify the reading Cardiologist per clinical facility protocols.
- Demonstrate professional communication.
- Practice professional behaviors in all situations, and adhere to professional codes of ethics.2
- Demonstrate respect for patients' rights and privacy while providing a safe environment.
1 Quality standards for echocardiography exams are defined by the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE).
2 Professional codes of ethics for echocardiographers have been established by the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (SDMS) and Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
Plan of Study Grid
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND I +*
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND PHYSICS
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND II +*
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND CLINICAL PRACTICE I +*
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND CLINICAL PRACTICE II +*
|CARDIAC ULTRASOUND CLINICAL PRACTICE III +*
|Total Credit Hours
Prior to enrollment in a clinical practice, students must provide specific documentation including but not limited to the following:
- Current criminal background check and fingerprinting
- Drug screening
- Physical exam form
- Record with up-to-date immunization data
This is a West Campus program.
Specialized courses are not offered every session.
Students who are eligible to enroll in the B.S. in Cardiopulmonary Sciences can apply this certificate as their chosen concentration in fulfillment of graduation requirements.